17 June 2010

a million birds and a margay

The case load at CASA has exploded. This week, I got in 7 birds and one margay. I currently have 22 rehab patients and 2 education birds in my care. That is almost triple what it was 2 months ago. Insane! And when I think I can't handle any more, I get in something else. It's really amazing what you're able to do when you have to. I wear my running shoes and shorts to work now. It's kind of a necessity when I run from building to building since walking takes way too long. The intern I've had since last week has been a ton of help. I do believe I owe my sanity to her and my co-workers. Alison arrives on Monday with her mom. She's going to be here for a month and it's going to be fantastic to have some more experience and knowledge available... and help feeding hungry little mouths.

So! New patients for this week: 4 Euphonia (still not entirely sure what species) on Sunday. Their nest was taken by some kids in Santa Familia. These birds are so incredibly tiny, weighing in at a hefty 8 grams a piece. I have the feeling they aren't the brightest creatures since they don't quite get the whole feeding process. Not to mention, every time I open the top of their basket, they all spring out and then immediately flutter to the floor. They've just fledged so they don't quite have the hang of flying yet. Next up: A Margay on Monday. Yes, a cat. A beautiful little wild cat. She was reportedly shot (although I couldn't find any shot wounds) on Friday. Here was the only place she could go for intensive care so I took her in. Thanks to my excellent cat restraint skills acquired from Dutch Fork Animal Hospital, I was able to give her some fluids and other medications. This patient was a learning experience for sure. She wasn't able to urinate on her own so I learned how to express a bladder. Sadly, she took a horrible turn for the worse and had to be euthanized on Tuesday. Another learning experience... I now know how to do an intracardial stick. I found myself saying "thank God" when I got it right on the first try. She was sedated so she didn't feel a thing. Tuesday was Roadside Hawk Day. I got in three. The first I received in the morning and had been found grounded and attacked by blackbirds: a common situation. She has a lot of wounds on her head and she has a torn nictitating membrane on one of her eyes. Maybe it'll heal itself... she's going to be a wait-and-see what happens patient, I think. Hopefully she'll be alright. The next two arrived in the evening. A disturbing and heartbreaking case, no doubt. They had been hand-raised for over a month. One is tame and the second.. well... the second was so deformed and in obvious pain that she had to be euthanized immediately. Needless to say, Tuesday was a ridiculously emotionally-charged day that culminated in my having a slight tear-filled breakdown. But, people here are amazing and I had some good support. I think I broke my personal record for longest work day ever that day. 18 hours. I am a BEAST. Also, this little experience of living in Belize has amounted to a ridiculous amount of personal growth. Who knew?

I often get questions about how I can perform euthanasia and I generally get the comment of "I could never do that". It's a necessary part of my job. Nobody, with the exception of the extremely deranged, enjoys i. I always try to do what is best for the animals that are in my care. If it comes to the point where the suffering is extensive, quality of life is beyond poor, or there is no way the animal can live life in the wild like it is meant to, then the most selfless thing you can do is to end its suffering. It sucks, but it's a part of my job that sometimes has to be done.

But, on to happier things! The Golden-fronted Woodpeckers got evicted this week (happier?). I decided it was time to make them grow up... plus I needed the room as the clinic is overflowing. They're still receiving supplemental feedings in the aviary but they're doing quite well with eating on their own. The Sulphur-bellied Flycatchers get their eviction tomorrow. They might just be throwing worms around in their cage but I'm pretty sure they aren't eating them or the live moths I put in there. I guess we'll see how it goes outside. I'm hoping it will encourage them to stop being so reliant. They've been enjoying their nightly freedom while I clean out their cage though. All four fly around the room, often hanging off of the hardware cloth that keeps them from flying all the way up to the clinic ceiling. The Chachalaca is getting in her adult plumage. She was moved into a larger cage yesterday and I think she's still a bit freaked out about it, but she loves hanging out in front of the mirror all day. So vain. Hopefully my anti-imprinting tactics will work. She gets incredibly stressed when I weigh her every day. It's definitely a promising sign that she runs from me.

I suppose that's all the updates for this week. I am currently bogged down by paperwork; it might be my least favorite part of this job. Hopefully I can catch a few hours of sleep after finishing these Forest Department reports!


No comments:

Post a Comment