09 June 2010

a grackle and an intern

What an insane week! I've been constantly running around and thinking about the next step in my head. I'm actually surprised my brain hasn't exploded yet. To add to the craziness, Tuesday evening I received a baby Great-tailed Grackle from the Belize Zoo. Somebody had found him in Belmopan, fed him sausage (what?) and water, and dropped him at the zoo. Little guy has some sort of infection on his wing but is acting like a normal Grackle fledgling. And by normal Grackle, I mean ridiculously obnoxious and loud. I got very frustrated when trying to do an intake examination because he wouldn't be quiet. After a long day, my patience is trying... so I put him up and tried again in the morning after he had a full belly. The vet is coming tomorrow to give me her thoughts.

Thankfully, I have an intern! She arrived from Virginia on Tuesday and has been a great help so far. I had her feeding birds on the first day. Tomorrow we set up an aviary for the Woodpeckers... if they ever decide to be independent. It seems as if the Flycatchers maybe actually beat them to the independence. They've decided to stop showing interest in the syringe feeding, although they all just fledged yesterday. Tonight I set up the bug zapper in order to catch some delicious moths. I'll test them tomorrow for their fly-catching abilities.

Really, that's all I've got to update. I'm too exhausted to add anything else. I know, I know... a definite departure from last week's heartfelt blog, but that's how it goes. Goodnight, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment