02 December 2009

the beginning


Many of you know that I recently moved from Columbia to Charleston, SC in order to figure out what direction my life is supposed to be taking. While I had initially thought I was supposed to be vet-teching, my recent unemployment has given me plenty of time to re-evaluate my life. Any of you who know me know that my passion is conservation. The amazing thing about all of us being different is that we all have specific roles in this life. I have come to the (re-) realization that my calling is to help protect and save the environment in which we all live. Without our diverse ecosystems, none of us would be able to survive or enjoy the beauty that our world provides.

Yesterday I was offered, and accepted, the Avian Clinic Manager position at CASA, a non-profit avian rehabilitation center in San Ignacio, Belize. The facility is on the outskirts of San Ignacio; I've included a map so you have a general idea of where San Ignacio is located.

Since CASA is a non-profit organization, funds are in short supply. I will be receiving a stipend of approximately $40 a month to cover personal expenses in Belize (thankfully, CASA will be providing my housing and meals). Before I leave, I will be working my hardest to sell my car and defer my student loans so that I will be able to afford this amazing opportunity. If you feel led to donate to my Belize fund, I would be grateful. You can email me at natinbelize AT gmail.com for details. The facility is also accepting medical supplies for the rehabilitation of these beautiful birds. I will be posting a list soon of these items if you have the ability to donate in that aspect.

I will be posting often to keep you all updated on my progress. I have a lot to get done before mid-January.. selling the car, deferring student loans, studying up on my Belize birds and avian rehabilitation, and not to mention finding out if I need to partake in prophylactic malaria treatments.

I would like to thank all of you who have helped me get to this point in my life. It's a huge leap of faith, but I wouldn't be able to do this without the support and experience I have received over the past few years. Thank you especially to DFAH for supporting my decision to move to Charleston, albeit I'll have only been here for a few months. The training you provided me as a veterinary assistant will, no doubt, prove invaluable in Belize.

If any of you are interested in visiting Belize while I am there, CASA is actually part of the eco-lodge Casa del Caballo Blanco. It's just another way to support the program and enjoy all that Belize has to offer!

Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment