04 March 2012

rain rain rain

While walking back from my run up the hill the other day, it started misting. Maybe you've heard of the Hawaiian mist? For me, the only thing I could think of equating it to at the time was the Greek tradition of being spat upon. Not that I've ever had it happen to me, but I feel like the mist probably feels like what being spat upon feels like... and this is how my brain works.

It appears that Hawaii is being flooded. Kauai has received relentless amounts of rain and it has been raining here almost constantly for the past three or so days. The last time I checked the radar, Oahu was also receiving a ton of rain. It's becoming depressing. And cold. We even had thunderstorms! Thunder is a rare occurrence here. It was a bit tricky driving up the hill last night during the rain. Imagine driving up a stream with an occasional waterfall and a bunch of eucalyptus bark in the way. Fortunately, today is looking up so far; hopefully I can fit in another trail run before work. I'm hoping it won't be too slippery and muddy.

Yesterday, we headed down the mountain to check out the supposed 11-12 foot waves at Ho'okipa, which is off of Hana Highway past Paia. They weren't quite that big, but they were still pretty impressive. Next, we headed down Hana Highway a little way and came across some unassuming gardens. We decided to stop to check out some plants, but ended up finding a trail that led to at least three waterfalls. A bit of advice? Always wear hike-ready shoes when in Hawaii. I was just wearing my slippers (Hawaiian lingo for flip flops). Tevas and my feet would have fared a bit better with all of the rock climbing, stream wading, and muddy trails that we ended up hiking. It was a pretty great spontaneous adventure.

Before heading back up the hill, we stopped at the Paia Fish Market. As per usual, it was packed. It was apparently featured on the Food Network a few months ago and with good reason. I got the fish and chips which is pretty delicious. I am a vegetarian, but I started eating fish last year. I'm pretty excited about all of my additional options here this time around. I feel like I missed out on experiencing some really good food the last time I was on Maui.

Yesterday I headed into Kahului to open a bank account. I was walking and, surprisingly, managed not to get lost. Hooray! It helps that this island hasn't really changed. Also, the Bank of Hawaii still had all of my information from the last time I had a bank account with them. They must have known...

I caught the bus up to Makawao and had a fish taco at Polli's before making the trek back up the mountain. Fortunately, the interns were making their way back to the apartment and picked up me just as it started to rain. It'll be great if the rains end soon so that I can do more exploring without getting soaked.

What's on tap for next weekend? I'm not really sure yet. Maybe some kayaking, but I'm really hesitant since I still have my east coast lackoftan. Nobody wants lobster skin. Or skin cancer. We shall see.

Another fun fact: the state bird of Hawaii is the Nene (nay-nay). September 26th is Nene Awareness Day, so get ready to celebrate the Hawaiian Goose by visiting me in about six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment