12 August 2010

patients, etc.

The Yellow-green Vireo had a major break through today - he actually started eating on his own! Soon I'll be able to kick his little self out so that he can start his real life. The Collared Aracari fledgling is doing so very well. I introduced her to Elmo outside of the carrier earlier this week. They're getting along great - Elmo will even feed her when she begs! The wild flock of Aracari have been visiting more often than usual. The fledge is getting along great with them as well. A couple more weeks and I plan to release her into this flock since they appear to have already accepted her. It's nice when it all works out how you hope it will.

The woodpeckers are in an aviary now and they've started eating on their own. It's strange how fast these guys are progressing compared to the other pair I had earlier in the season. They will probably be ready to go within the next couple of weeks as well. Hopefully I'll have quite a few releases before the month of August is over!

I haven't received any new patients recently but the next will be patient number 100! Maybe it'll be something amazing like a Harpy Eagle or a Orange-breasted Falcon... but probably not sense they're almost impossible to find. If it's another Yellow-green Vireo chick, I might cry. (Please google Harpy Eagles... they're so big and they often eat monkeys. I'm pretty sure I would not survive handling one of those).

My down time this week has consisted of going over numerous job postings. So far I've only applied to one. It's a start, right? If anybody has any job opportunities out there for me... just let me know. Job applications and cover letters are undoubtedly the worst. They're right up there with public speaking for me. Speaking of which, I've been asked to do a presentation for the Forest Department next week. Oh nerves, please behave and don't turn me into a nervy spaz.

Last Friday I decided to sleep.. and sleep.. and sleep some more. Throw in reading a book and watching some Dexter and that was my day off. I guess I had a month and a half of craziness to recuperate from though. That's my excuse, anyway. At least I made it out to Greedy's in the evening though for some socialization. But (!) I have another day off tomorrow! It's amazing! I'm really planning on going to Guanacaste National Park tomorrow. There won't be a repeat of last Friday since I really, really need to get out and do something in nature. My sanity has waned every since I've been on my own again here and hiking always helps balance me. By the way, thanks to all of you who showed support during my breakdown this weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment