26 August 2010

an empty nest.. almost.

There were several releases this week! First, the Chachalaca... you know, the one that arrived as a hatching egg back in May. She was released on Tuesday. The Golden-fronted Woodpeckers were released yesterday and the White-tipped Dove was released today. Unfortunately, the Chachalaca and the Woodpeckers found their way back to the aviaries... I'm really hoping that their instincts kick in soon and they take off. In the meantime, they're receiving food supplements until they're completely foraging on their own. The flock of Chachalacas have been calling in the morning. I exposed the Chachalaca to vocalizations when she was younger but so far she doesn't seem to recognize them. This is the problem with raising a hatchling on it's own - no matter how hard you try to make them realize what species they are, the outcome isn't generally ideal.

On Friday, I received a Yucatan Squirrel baby. It was found on the road with a broken tail. He's definitely not a bird, but who can say no to this face?! (Yes, the internet is crap again). Being in Belize, I don't have the ideal formula for raising a baby squirrel so he's really a test subject. He's had his up and downs but he's currently he's doing well. Once again I'm stuck with a single individual BUT he will be releasable! No negative thoughts allowed. None.

Tomorrow for my day off, vehicle dependent, I'll be going to the gym and the Cahal Pech pool. I can't wander too far since I have the squirrel to feed every four or so hours... but at least I'll be getting rid of my awesome farmer's tan.

Can you tell when I don't start working on my blog days in advance? The only other news I have is that I bought my plane ticket back to South Carolina. I'll be returning three weeks early on December 19th. I had the ability to be in town for the holidays so I jumped on it. It was bittersweet purchasing my ticket. I will definitely miss this place, the work, and the people but I'm also excited to be back in America and see everybody. I'm still four months out though so I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

My non-CASA life was a bit crazy this week which took away from an intriguing blog post. Next week will be filled with fun and exciting things! I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment